Thursday, September 4, 2008

Miss Ataxia: Marriage, Genetics, And Breast Cancer

Well I've talked to my aunt and she confirms it. He needs to talk to dad alone and ask for his permission to marry me. "Than the one knee thing" lol. I don't think that my parents are ready for it quite yet. But I know that this is what both Him and I want. Mum's going to freak.

Mum had a genetics appointment today. Ended up nearly bruising her hand in order to get any blood out. Genetics appointment, you ask? Well about two years ago she ended all her chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer. About that time as well she found out that it could be genetic. That some people are more at risk than others because of a specific gene, BRCA2. After she found that out she talked to my aunt. The same one that I confided in. She found out that my aunt had gotten checked out because of my mum and found out that she had precancerous cells. Now my mum is all worried. I kind of am too. I know that there are ways to cut down your risks, but there are certain people in my family that aren't taking precautions. And I don't want to have to go through that again. Sitting there with my mum while she was getting her chemo done was a great bonding experience don't get me wrong. But it hurt watching her sit there while they prodded her with needles and injected her with all those chemicals. And now with all the side effects? I don't want to go through that. And I sure as hell don't want either of my sister's or my little cousins to go through that. So yes. All of you femmes out there that read this. Take precautions and get yourself checked out. And if it turns out that you have it. Know that I am here, as well as the rest of my family. Be careful.

No comments: